Gignilliat, Deacon Bob
- BACKGROUND: Deacon Bob was born and raised in the Worcester, Massachusetts area. He was born into the “Dion Clan” — a large Catholic family where he was the second oldest of 26 grandchildren. Of his eight aunts and uncles, two were religious sisters and one was a priest. He received a Catholic education from Grade School to College at Assumption University. As a young man, he wanted to be a priest, but also wanted a family. He is married to Peggy (Donlan) Gignilliat for 54 years and they have 5 children and 14 grandchildren. After his daughter’s miraculous healing of cancer, he asked the Lord to let him serve Him forever and subsequently felt the call to the Deaconate.
- ORDINATION: Upon completing 4-5 years of study, Bob was ordained a Deacon on September 17, 1994, by Cardinal Hickey at the National Basilica Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington DC. Deacon Bob has served as a Deacon at St, Mary of the Mills Parish since 2006. Prior to St. Mary of the Mills, he served as a Deacon at St. Philip Church in Camp Springs MD and St. Joseph Church in Pomfret MD.
- ARCHDIOCESE SERVICE: Deacon Bob is also an elected member of the Archdiocese of Washington’s Deacon Council, an advisory body to Washington’s Archbishop.
- PARISH SERVICE: Upon ordination, Deacon Bob chose to specialize in Family Life Ministries. At St. Mary of the Mills Parish, Deacon Bob is the coordinator of the Gabriel Network Committee and is the Chaplin / Institutional Representative for the American Heritage Girls, Boy Scout, and Cub Scout Programs. Over the years, Deacon Gignilliat has ministered as a Pregnancy Aid Center Counselor, prison ministry counselor, and active in social concerns programs. He has conducted retreats and marriage and baptism preparation classes. Deacon Bob has been active in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal since 1974 and has written several articles on Marian Apparitions.
- EDUCATION: Deacon Bob earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics from Assumption College and did graduate work in Information Technology at American University. He has participated in numerous Deacon/Priest’s Conferences at Franciscan University in Stubenville
- Deacon at St. Mary of the Mills
- Elected Member of the Archdiocese of Washington’s Deacon Council
- Laurel, MD