December 1, 2019
Dear Ladies of TASTE,
We hope your Thanksgiving celebration was enjoyable and not too stressful. Perhaps the day or two thereafter was a bit more relaxing with feasting on leftovers and reaping the benefits of all that hard work.
- WINTER SHELTER -- Over the last 13 years, our TASTE community has gradually become part of the larger communities of St. Mary's of the Mills & Pallotti HS. As such, we have been invited to partner with both as they continue a 27 year old tradition of providing shelter & meals to the homeless of Laurel during the week of Christmas. What a true sacrifice to Our Lord, in the disguise of the poor, to serve during this very busy week.
- OUR SUPPORT -- We would like to support this much needed ministry by providing a lunch and dinner on 28 December for about 30 homeless people. One of our members (Karen Schroeder) has graciously offered to coordinate with her local girl scout troop to provide lunch. Thank you Karen!! So at this point, we are focusing on soliciting support for the dinner to be served on 28 December. We plan to provide Pulled Pork BBQ, Rolls, Cole Slaw, Green Beans, Drinks, and Cookies/Brownies and would greatly appreciated your contributions. Additionally, if 3 of our members could stay from 6:00-9:00 pm to serve food and socialize with the homeless guests, that would be very helpful. Please use the SIGN UP GENIUS if you can. If you have any questions or need help with the sign-up, please contact Beverly Simmons — 301-776-3351, SIMBJ@AOL.COM. Alternatively, if you prefer to offer financial support for this event, you can put a donation in an envelope labelled "Winter Shelter" in the weekly collection.
This week at TASTE
- NEW TALK -- We welcome FR. DANIEL LEARY. He will be preparing us for the Advent Season by talking about "God’s Gift of the Christ Child."
- SMALL GROUP -- This week, we will reflect on COLLEEN DUGGAN's talk from last week titled "Good Enough is Good Enough: Confessions of An Imperfect Catholic Mom." Audio and Reflection Questions are LINKED. (Once there, please click on the Title of the desired talk to access the recording, Reflection Questions, and any additional documents/links)
- SCRIPTURAL ROSARY will be prayed after Fr. Dan's talk. Please plan to stay and welcome in Advent and pray the Joyful mysteries together.
- THE SISTERS continue to be grateful for our much needed donations of food and cash. Thank you for helping them.
- CONFESSION -- Unfortunately, Fr. Dan is not able to stay after his talk. There will not be a priest this week.
- TASTE TOTE BAG & BOOK SALE. We will have a special, "stocking stuffer" sale on December 5th and 12th. Purchase a TASTE tote bag + 3 books for $15.00. (books only are 3 for $10.00). Payment may be made by cash or check.
Special Prayer Request for:
- TASTE PROGRAM -- Please pray for the TASTE program that God will send workers to this particular vineyard as well as new women who He desires to love and teach through TASTE. TASTE PRAYER CARD
- PARKING -- Parking is no longer allowed at the Phelps Center/Laurel Boys and Girls club lot; they are ticketing and towing. Please use street parking and the Keesler Center parking lot.
Upcoming Events in the Area
- INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER FOR THE CHURCH -- December 6, 2019 has been set as a day of fasting, prayer and reparation, “for the purpose of driving out any diabolic influence within the Church that has been gained as a result of recent events,” and Fr. Larry Swink is encouraging us to participate. For details and suggested prayers, READ MORE...
- ST. FAUSTINA: LOVE AND MERCY is playing in theaters in the area on December 10th. SEE HERE to find a theater near you.
Advent Events in the Area
- GRECCIO LIVING NATIVITY -- Shrine of St. Anthony - Ellicott City - December 7th & 8th - 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM. A service of Prayers, Christmas Carols, and a Living Nativity will take place outside at the red barn with refreshments to follow. Free of charge. Bring your family and friends and encounter the true meaning of Christmas! In case of inclement weather, Greccio will be in the Chapel. READ MORE ...
- PARISH ADVENT MISSION -- Our Lady of Perpetual Help - Ellicott City. December 3, 4, 5 at 7:00pm. OLPH is excited to host Fr. Joseph Mary from the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal as he leads three nights of time together in Mission. Each night will include a talk in the Church (Inner Healing, Forgiveness, Reconciliation and the Eucharist) and time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.
- ADVENT SERIES ON HUMILITY-- The Advent Season is not only a time when we meditate on the beauty and mystery of the Incarnation, but it is also a perfect time to meditate on the virtue of humility. St. Mary of the Mills is offering an Advent Series to look at this important virtue based on the rule of St. Benedict and his "Ladder of Humility" as it offers 12 Steps to Genuine Christian Humility. This Advent Series will be three Wednesday evening (December 4, 11, and 18) from 7:30-8:30. The Blessed Sacrament will be exposed during each presentation with the opportunity for Confession following. READ MORE ...
- 30th ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CONCERT FOR CHARITY -- Begins at 7:30 pm Friday December 6th at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conceptions. READ MORE ...
- BLUE CHRISTMAS SERVICE -- Hope for the Holidays. Our Lady of Perpetual Help - Ellicott City. December 8 at 7:00pm in the Church. The season may bring the first Christmas without a loved one, or a painful reminder of those we have been without for some time. Join us in the Church for a service of prayer and reflection where we will acknowledge that God’s presence is with us in our pain. Fellowship time to follow.
- ADVENT VESPERS at the National Basilica are at 4:00 p.m. each Sunday of Advent. READ MORE
Blessings! Carolyn & Joy
Jesus, I Trust in You!
Jesus, I Trust in You!