November 6, 2023
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
- TASTE continues this Thursday with a talk by Elizabeth Leon. Invite a friend!
- The video, reflection questions, and other material from last week's talk can be found HERE.
- Although the official deadline has passed, it’s not too late to sign up to pray for a priest. Just reply to this message.
- For our latest information, follow us now on FACEBOOK
- This week, we celebrate the Dedication of Saint John Lateran Basilica on November 9th. Most Catholics think of St. Peter’s as the pope’s main church, but it is not. St. John Lateran is the pope’s church, the cathedral of the Diocese of Rome where the Bishop of Rome presides. Beneath its high altar rest the remains of the small wooden table on which tradition holds Saint Peter himself celebrated Mass. Unlike the commemorations of other Roman churches, this anniversary is a Feast Day. To learn more about its history and architecture, see this LINK.
- LAST WEEK — Last week we welcomed Felicitas Brugo Onetti as she gave a talk entitled "Human Trafficking: What to Know and How to Help." Ms. Onetti gave us a sobering overview of human trafficking in our world, and in our country today. Following is a brief summary of her talk as many of the details can be found in her slides, linked HERE or on the talk web page. MORE
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will discuss Felicitas Brugo Onetti's talk entitled "Human Trafficking: What to Know and How to Help." The video, reflection questions and other related material can be found HERE. The Zoom small group meets on Tuesday mornings. Details on how to join can be found in a link at the bottom of this message.
- JOAN WATSON PODCAST — One of our speakers, Joan Watson, started a new podcast that is connected to Verso. Interestingly, some of it was inspired by a TASTE talk she did several years ago about life being a pilgrimage. So if you are planning a trip or just on the pilgrimage of daily living, listen to In Via, her new podcast that explores the daily pilgrimage of life! Find it HERE or wherever you listen to podcasts. Connections to the other places you may listen (e.g., Apple and Spotify and Google Play) are also on that link.
- TALK AT ST. LOUIS IN CLARKSVILLE — On November 9, the St. Louis & St. Francis Pastorate Speaker Series presents a talk by Ann Royals Vitz entited "Wisely and Intentionally Cultivate your Family Time." See HERE for details.
- WORKSHOP FOR WOMEN — Do you ever doubt the promises of God? Do you long for greater peace & joy? "Made for More" is a workshop for women on the journey of the Beloved. It will be held on Nov 18th, 2023 from 9:00-12:30 at St. Theresa Church in Ashburn, VA. The cost of $25 includes materials and a light breakfast. Visit HERE to register. MORE
- CATHOLIC YOUTH SUMMER CAMP 2024 — CYSC 2024 is designed for youth who will be ENTERING grades 6-12 in the Fall 2024 (in other words, young people CURRENTLY in grades 5-11). Camp will be July 28 to August 2, 2024 at Damascus' Main Campus in Centerburg, Ohio. Registration opened 11/6/23 so sign up soon if interested. See HERE for details.
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and the logistics of offering childcare this coming year. This week, please pray for: 1) Cynthia Bandong, one of our TASTE sisters, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer for the 2nd time. Please pray for God's grace and strength to sustain her during her cancer treatments, 2) Fr. Larry Swink as he has left his two parishes in southern Maryland and returned to Washington, DC for medical reasons, 3) Susan Conroy as she continues to have medical issues, 4) Kate Christianson for eradication of her cancer and overall health improvement, 5) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 6) Kara Helfenbein's daughter Ellie Carter for healing from complications of a bone marrow treatment for AML, 7) Michele Cardamone's mother (Dorothy Cardamone) who is suffering from congestive heart failure, 8) Nicola's son Javon for God to break through and heal him, and 9) peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at email@example.com.
Joy, Michele, Karen, and Helen
Jesus, I trust in You!
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- NEW THEME — In the spirit of continuing our theme on the Eucharist, our 2023/2024 theme will be "Abide in My Eucharistic Heart." Additionally, each year we attach a scripture verse or Saint quote to our theme. This year, our quote is from St. Teresa of Calcutta: "When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host, you understand how much Jesus loves you now. It was selected to highlight: 1) Jesus' Real Presence in the Eucharist, 2) His unfathomable love for us, (His Bride, the Church), and 3) how it increases our unity with Him and the Body of Christ.
- THEME INFLUENCES — In preparation for selecting our new theme and quote, the following inputs were amongst those that helped to guide us. First, Fr. Mike Schmitz’ Corpus Christi homily was centered on that theme (VIDEO). Second, an article entitled "Msgr. James Shea on Evangelizing in a Post-Christian Society, Belief in the Invisible World, and Utopias" addressed our theme and our role in evangelization (ARTICLE). Third, Fr. Mattia from St. Mary of the Mills presented 4 talks on the Eucharist. TALK1 TALK2 TALK3 TALK4
- FACEBOOK — We just re-launched our FACEBOOK presence and intend to keep it up-to-date with useful information about our TASTE Program as well as other interesting Catholic information and events. Follow us on FACEBOOK.
- INVITE A FRIEND - It is We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.
- REGISTRATION — Many of you have registered already, so thank you. If you have not yet, please help us plan for this upcoming semester by registering using this LINK. Even if you attended last year, please register for this upcoming 2023-2024 year. If you can't remember whether you have registered or if you need to edit any of your responses, see your email receipt with subject line: TASTE REGISTRATION -- 2023-2024. If you have deleted or lost your email receipt, simply respond to this email and Joy can help you.
- CHILD CARE — We are so excited to have the Sisters of the Servants of the Lord back with us providing TASTE for Tots, our Virtus certified child care program. Given that this will allow young mothers to come to TASTE who may not have been able to attend in the past couple of years, please help us share the word. This is a beautiful opportunity for moms to have a mini-retreat each week! Please also spread the word that moms may bring their non-walking infants to the Chapel with them for small group discussions and our talks. We love babies and children!
- PARKING — For the 2023-2024 season, parking will be available at the St Mary of the Mills School/Church parking lot, Keesler Center parking lot, Phelps Center parking lot, and street parking.