October 9, 2023
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
- TASTE continues this Thursday with a talk by Fr. Virginus. Invite a friend!
- The video, reflection questions, and other material from last week's talk can be found HERE.
- Sign-up for our Pray for Priests Spiritual Adoption Program HERE
- For our latest information, follow us now on FACEBOOK
- PRAY FOR ISRAEL — The recent assault on Israel was unprecedented in recent history in its scale and scope, falling on the 50th anniversary of the 1973 War in which Arab states blitzed Israel on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. Please pray for Israel. Please pray for peace.
- PRAY FOR PRIESTS — One of our three TASTE missions is to encourage priests in their ministry. Our "Pray for Priests Program" enables this by assigning a specific priest and/or Servant of the Lord Sister to each woman to spiritually adopt and pray for during the year. To sign-up to pray for a Priest and/or Sister, click on this LINK. The date of our formal ceremony where we take a picture of all women holding their prayer card will be October 26, 2023.
- LAST WEEK — Last week we welcomed back Bill Keimig as he gave a talk entitled "The Eucharist is a Model of Conversion." Once again, Bill gave us a beautiful handout to go with his talk. It can be found on the talk web PAGE or HERE. Bill began his talk by going over the handout. He spent a little time on page 4, Dies Domini, one of the least known of Pope John Paul II papal teachings, written to the bishops, clergy and faithful on keeping the the Lord's day holy. There is only one thing the Lord has raised to the level of a command in the spiritual life and that is to honor His day. MORE
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will discuss Bill Keimig's talk entitled "The Eucharist is a Model of Conversion." The video, reflection questions and other related material can be found HERE. The Zoom small group meets on the following Tuesday morning. Details on how to join can be found in a link at the bottom of this message.
- WOMEN'S CONFERENCE — TASTE Speaker Fr. Virginus Osuagwu is hosting "The Women Project International Conference" at Church of the Resurrection the evenings of Oct. 19, 20, and the morning of Oct. 21. Three TASTE Speakers will be featured: Fr. Virginus, Mary Lenaburg, and Sam Fatziner. For dates, times, and other details, please see the attached flyer. The Eventbrite link to register is HERE
- RETREAT — Reform Wellness, a Catholic Ministry out of Northern Virginia is hosting a retreat October 13-14. Details and Registration are HERE From their website: "Join us to learn how to build a strong foundation in Christ as we merge faith and functional health through Reform's nine wellness pillars and the wisdom of the saints. Using Christ-centered, holistic wellness, we have the opportunity to honor God's design and return to the freedom that is given to us at our creation."
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and the logistics of offering childcare this coming year. This week, please pray for: 1) Cynthia Bandong, one of our TASTE sisters, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer for the 2nd time. Please pray for God's grace and strength to sustain her during her cancer treatments, 2) The repose of the soul of Katylee McInerney, 3) Fr. Larry Swink as he has left his two parishes in southern Maryland and returned to Washington, DC for medical reasons, 4) Susan Conroy as she continues to have medical issues, 5) Mayra Wilson (TASTE member) to successfully navigate the program to become a police officer and that her actions as a future police officer always bring honor to God, 6) Kate Christianson for eradication of her cancer and overall health improvement, 7) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 8) Kara Helfenbein's daughter Ellie Carter for healing from complications of a bone marrow treatment for AML, 9) Thanksgiving for successful surgery for Joy Parker's Mother-in-Law Nancy who had surgery to remove a brain tumor, 10) Michele Cardamone's mother (Dorothy Cardamone) who is suffering from congestive heart failure, and 11) peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at email@example.com.
Joy, Michele, Karen, and Helen
Jesus, I trust in You!
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- NEW THEME — In the spirit of continuing our theme on the Eucharist, our 2023/2024 theme will be "Abide in My Eucharistic Heart." Additionally, each year we attach a scripture verse or Saint quote to our theme. This year, our quote is from St. Teresa of Calcutta: "When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host, you understand how much Jesus loves you now. It was selected to highlight: 1) Jesus' Real Presence in the Eucharist, 2) His unfathomable love for us, (His Bride, the Church), and 3) how it increases our unity with Him and the Body of Christ.
- THEME INFLUENCES — In preparation for selecting our new theme and quote, the following inputs were amongst those that helped to guide us. First, Fr. Mike Schmitz’ Corpus Christi homily was centered on that theme (VIDEO). Second, an article entitled "Msgr. James Shea on Evangelizing in a Post-Christian Society, Belief in the Invisible World, and Utopias" addressed our theme and our role in evangelization (ARTICLE). Third, Fr. Mattia from St. Mary of the Mills presented 4 talks on the Eucharist. TALK1 TALK2 TALK3 TALK4
- FACEBOOK — We just re-launched our FACEBOOK presence and intend to keep it up-to-date with useful information about our TASTE Program as well as other interesting Catholic information and events. Follow us on FACEBOOK.
- INVITE A FRIEND - It is We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.
- REGISTRATION — Many of you have registered already, so thank you. If you have not yet, please help us plan for this upcoming semester by registering using this LINK. Even if you attended last year, please register for this upcoming 2023-2024 year. If you can't remember whether you have registered or if you need to edit any of your responses, see your email receipt with subject line: TASTE REGISTRATION -- 2023-2024. If you have deleted or lost your email receipt, simply respond to this email and Joy can help you.
- CHILD CARE — We are so excited to have the Sisters of the Servants of the Lord back with us providing TASTE for Tots, our Virtus certified child care program. Given that this will allow young mothers to come to TASTE who may not have been able to attend in the past couple of years, please help us share the word. This is a beautiful opportunity for moms to have a mini-retreat each week! Please also spread the word that moms may bring their non-walking infants to the Chapel with them for small group discussions and our talks. We love babies and children!
- PARKING — For the 2023-2024 season, parking will be available at the St Mary of the Mills School/Church parking lot, Keesler Center parking lot, Phelps Center parking lot, and street parking.