September 11, 2023
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
- Our kick-off session is in just over a week (Sep 21) with Fr. Larry Swink. Invite a friend!
- If you have not yet registered for the 2023-2024 year, please do so now — LINK
- We will have TASTE for Tots Child Care starting in the Fall. Please help get the word out!
- FIRST SESSION — TASTE opens its 17th season in just over a week on September 21st with a talk by our Spiritual Director Fr. Larry Swink entitled "Mysterium Fidei: Abide in My Eucharistic Heart." Like his other talks, we expect this one to also be incredibly inspiring, encouraging, and challenging. Feel free to invite a friend. *A Special Note: While Fr. Larry is profoundly grateful for our many prayers, he requests that the focus of our time together to be on Jesus and our Catholic faith. He desires to avoid any conversations about his health. Thank you for your understanding and abiding by his humble wishes.
- PARKING — For the 2023-2024 season, parking will be available at the St Mary of the Mills School/Church parking lot, Keesler Center parking lot, Phelps Center parking lot, and street parking.
- SPEAKER LINE-UP — As usual, our speaker line-up looks amazing with quite a diverse set of priests, deacons, religious sisters, educators, and authors. If you would like to read about our upcoming speakers, click HERE. If you would like to learn about the titles of our upcoming talks, click HERE.
- REGISTRATION — Many of you have registered already, so thank you. If you have not yet, please help us plan for this upcoming semester by registering using this LINK. Even if you attended last year, please register for this upcoming 2023-2024 year. If you can't remember whether you have registered or if you need to edit any of your responses, see your email receipt with subject line: TASTE REGISTRATION -- 2023-2024. If you have deleted or lost your email receipt, simply respond to this email and Joy can help you.
- PROMOTE OUR CHILD CARE — Given that this will allow young mothers to come to TASTE who may not have been able to attend in the past couple years, please help us share the word. This is a beautiful opportunity for them to have a mini-retreat each week!
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and the logistics of offering childcare this coming year. This week, please pray for: 1) Cynthia Bandong, one of our TASTE sisters, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer for the 2nd time. Please pray for her complete healing post surgery, 2) The repose of the soul of Katylee McInerney, 3) Fr. Larry Swink as he has left his two parishes in southern Maryland Monday and has returned to Washington, DC for medical reasons, 4) Susan Conroy as she continues to have medical issues, 5) Mayra Wilson (TASTE member) to successfully navigate the program to become a police officer and that her actions as a future police officer always bring honor to God, 6) Kate Christianson for eradication of her cancer and overall health improvement, 7) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 8) Kara Helfenbein's daughter Ellie Carter for healing from complications of a bone marrow treatment for AML, 10) Michele Cardamone's mom (Dorothy Cardamone) who is in the hospital for the 2nd time this month now suffering from heart failure, and 11) peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- NEW THEME — In the spirit of continuing our theme on the Eucharist, our 2023/2024 theme will be "Abide in My Eucharistic Heart." Additionally, each year we attach a scripture verse or Saint quote to our theme. This year, our quote is from St. Teresa of Calcutta: "When you look at the Crucifix, you understand how much Jesus loved you then. When you look at the Sacred Host, you understand how much Jesus loves you now. It was selected to highlight: 1) Jesus' Real Presence in the Eucharist, 2) His unfathomable love for us, (His Bride, the Church), and 3) how it increases our unity with Him and the Body of Christ.
- THEME INFLUENCES — In preparation for selecting our new theme and quote, the following inputs were amongst those that helped to guide us. First, Fr. Mike Schmitz’ Corpus Christi homily was centered on that theme (VIDEO). Second, an article entitled "Msgr. James Shea on Evangelizing in a Post-Christian Society, Belief in the Invisible World, and Utopias" addressed our theme and our role in evangelization (ARTICLE). Third, Fr. Mattia from St. Mary of the Mills presented 4 talks on the Eucharist. TALK1 TALK2 TALK3 TALK4\
- INVITE A FRIEND - It is We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.