February 19, 2023
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
- This week, TASTE continues to meet at the Pallotti Chapel. Our speaker is Deacon Jim Munno as he begins our Lenten Series "Draw Closer to God and He Will Draw Closer to You (James 4:8); Talk entitled "Return To Me."
- Small group discussions will be in person on Thursday based on Reflection Questions and other material found HERE. The Zoom small group continues to meet on Tuesday mornings (ZOOM).
- OPENING — This Wednesday, the faithful are invited to come forward to be marked with ashes as a sign of their commitment to the penitential season of Lent, so as to celebrate with great joy the Solemnity of Easter. Lent is 46 days long — 40 of those days are penitential days (an imitation of Jesus’ 40 days in the desert) and 6 of them are Sundays. As we come forward to receive the ashes, we call to mind our sins and are grateful that even though we are an undeserving sinner, God offers us the gift of eternal salvation. As we humble ourself in “sackcloth and ashes,” God more fully unites our soul with His through His glorious death and resurrection.
- LAST WEEK — We welcomed Elizabeth Leon as she gave a talk entitled "Let Yourself Be Loved." Elizabeth gave a beautiful talk about being fully alive, and in her presentation it was abundantly clear that she lives what she talks: she truly is a convincing example of the joy of Christian living. Saint Irenaeus said "The glory of God is man most fully alive, and the life of man consists in beholding God." She proposed an alternative title to her talk: "Finding God's Glory in Your Story," a title that will become clear later within her talk. MORE
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will discuss Elizabeth Leon's talk entitled "Let Yourself Be Loved." The audio, video, reflection questions, and other related material can be found HERE. The Tuesday Zoom Small Group will continue to meet as well via ZOOM,
- MARCH 4: MORNING OF RECOLLECTION — All are invited to join with the Mother Teresa Vocation Society (MTVS) for a Morning of Recollection Saturday March 4th beginning at 9:00 at St. Andrew Apostle, 11600 Kemp Mill Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20902. The morning will include: Mass, Adoration, A Talk, Benediction, and Refreshments. Father Blake Evans will present "The Voice of Christ and the Call within the Call." He will discuss the vocational call and ongoing conversion of how the Lord calls many to a new or different mission within the Sacrament they are living, Priesthood or Marriage, or the Baptism out there in the world as a lay person. The reflection will include some real life experiences of people he has met and served along the way. See attachment below.
- MARCH 5-7: LENTEN PARISH MISSION — Hosted by St. Joseph (Beltsville), Holy Redeemer (College Park), St. Hugh (Greenbelt) and St. Nicholas (Laurel) parishes. March 5-7, 2023, 6:30 PM-8:30 PM. Are you TRULY happy? Come discover the true happiness of being known intimately and loved unconditionally in the heart of Christ. Have you experienced unconditional love? Do you know you were made for greatness? Do you understand your life’s true purpose? At this special 3-day event, enter into a deeper experience of Christ through inspiring talks by renowned speaker, Dan Harms, powerful praise and worship, and Eucharistic adoration. Each evening will be followed by refreshments and a time for fellowship. See LINK for additional information.
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and our ability to offer child care if needed. This week, please pray for: 1) the repose of the soul of our sister-in-Christ, Kathy Buckus, 2) Katylee McInerney as she continues treatment for cancer, 3) eradication of Kate Christianson's cancer, 4) complete healing and swift recovery from Fr. Swink's recent back surgery, 5) healing for Jennifer Dougherty's mother Kay for the pain in her hip, 6) Karen’s Aunt Joan who has stage 4 kidney cancer, 7) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 8) Mike Frentz who is suffering from partial loss of eyesight, that it will not worsen, 9) Susan Conroy as she continues to have medical issues, 10) Julie Reynold's grandson Jameson will continue to thrive, and 11) peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joy, Michele, Karen, and Helen
Jesus, I trust in You!
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- SPECIAL ACCESS — Exciting News! Bill Keimig has provided the TASTE Program with our very own membership to the Catechetical Institute's "Franciscan At Home" completely free of charge to you! With this membership, we have workshops available to us on our computer given by excellent instructors such as Dr. Scott Hahn, Dr. Bob Rice, and our very dear friend, Dr. Bill Keimig! You can go as deep as you like in your study or just explore various topics involving catechizing all age groups, parenting, holy families, the Eucharist, discipleship, and many more. The link to set up your account under TASTE's membership is HERE. Questions? Feel free to email Karen Giermek at email@example.com.
- FR. SWINK— Fr. Larry said he has turned the corner in a good way and he continues to get his strength back. The surgery went well. He is very hopeful of a good recovery. Thank you all for your prayers for Father! I truly believe they are very vital! Also, we have heard that a number of women wanted Fr. Swink's address to send Get Well cards. Here it is. Fr. Larry Swink, St. Cecelia Catholic Church, 47950 Mattapany Road, P.O. Box 429, St. Mary's City, Maryland 20686
- SUPPORT OUR PRIESTS— A few weeks ago, we had our Spiritually Adopt a Priest/Seminarian ceremony. Thanks to all who are participating in this program since one of our three missions is to encourage priests in their ministry. If you missed the opportunity to sign up and would like to participate, please email Jennifer.A.Dougherty@protonmail.com. Additionally, here is an ARTICLE about 7 ways to support your priest.
- PILGRIMAGE — Fr. Larry Swink and Fr. Tim Daniel will be the Spiritual Directors for a pilgrimage to France May 21-30, 2023. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, see this LINK
- THE EUCHARIST - This year's TASTE theme "ABIDE IN ME" aligns with our Church's 3-year Eucharistic Revival (Additional LINK). As mentioned earlier, Blessed Carlo Acutis (Additional LINK) catalogued the Eucharistic Miracles of the World.
- CHILD CARE - If you are in need of child care to attend TASTE, please contact Joy Parker firstname.lastname@example.org directly. Likewise, if you know of any young mothers who you think would like to come to TASTE, but would need babysitting to do so, please contact Joy about this as well.
- REGISTRATION - We want to say thank you to all of the women who have already registered as it helps us significantly with our planning. If you haven't registered yet or if you know someone who is interested in attending, please sign up and/or encourage them to do the same. REGISTRATION LINK.
- INVITE A FRIEND - We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.