January 29, 2023
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
- This week's speaker is Fr. Timothy Gallagher; Talk entitled "A Biblical Way of Praying the Mass" on Zoom. Note: print out HANDOUT for talk. ZOOM
- Small group discussions will be on Tuesday and Thursday via ZOOM, based on Reflection Questions and other material found HERE.
- Our Lenten Series with Deacon Jim Munno will begin on February 23. The theme of this series will be: "Draw Closer to God and He Will Draw Closer to You (James 4:8). LINK
- THE PRESENTATION IN THE TEMPLE — Forty days after Christmas (February 2nd) marks the day that Mary and Joseph would have brought Jesus into the Temple to fulfill the ritual obligations. At the heart of this celebration is the encounter of Simeon and Anna with the Christ Child in the Temple. It is in that holy encounter that Jesus’ divinity is manifested by a human prophet for the first time. At His birth, the angels proclaimed His divinity to the shepherds, but in the Temple, Simeon was the first to understand and proclaim Jesus as the Savior of the World. He also prophesied that this salvation would be accomplished by a sword of sorrow that would pierce the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Like Anna in this same story, let us give thanks to God for the child Jesus who is our redemption.
- LAST WEEK — We welcomed Sr. Faustina Maria Pia of the Sisters for Life, as she gave a talk entitled "The Pro-Life Movement: Jesus is the Answer." Sister gave a beautiful talk about courage: courage to be seen, courage to love when we are aware of our weakness, and courage to entrust ourselves to Him. Sister spoke briefly of the culture of death in our world today. So many have been lied to, have no support. We have to have compassion for the culture, provide a safe space for the pain and anger to find expression, to let go, and finally find rest in a place of love and healing that God can provide. Jesus is the answer - for us, for our culture. There is so much pain and anger and suffering that has not been acknowledged. Fear is the driving force behind the culture of death, and the only answer is Perfect Love. because it casts out fear. Sister included several moving stories of pregnant women that found their way to the home that the Sisters of Life are a part of in New York City. MORE
- NEW TALK — This week, we welcome Fr. Timothy Gallagher, a well known expert on the Discernment of Spirits. He will give a talk entitled "A Biblical Way of Praying the Mass" based on his recent book of the same title. If you would like to purchase a copy of his book either in preparation for his talk or for later reading, you may find it HERE. Fr. Gallagher provided us with a handout to accompany his talk. Here is a link to the HANDOUT. Father said it will be helpful to have a printout of this handout to follow along during the talk. This talk will NOT be in person, and is our FINAL Zoom meeting before we resume meeting in person. Everyone is welcome to join the Zoom meeting at 10:30 on Thursday, February 2. Here are instructions on how to join the Zoom meeting: ZOOM LINK. The password is TASTE, and you can join up to 10 minutes before the start of the meeting for opening prayers.
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — You may join either of the two Zoom small groups we are offering this week (either Tuesday, January 31st at 10:30 or Thursday, February 2nd at 9:45) to discuss Sr. Faustina Maria Pia's talk "The Pro-Life Movement: Jesus is the Answer." The audio, video, reflection questions, and other related material can be found HERE. Details on how to join the Zoom small group meeting can be found at the bottom of this page and HERE.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY — On Monday, February 6th, one of our most faithful TASTE attendees, and our oldest member, Mary Anna Rice will turn 92 years old! We would love to make the day special for her! If you would like to help us celebrate Mary Anna's birthday, we would love for her to receive birthday cards from our members. If you would like to send her a birthday card, it may be sent to: Mary Anna Rice, 409 Prince George St, Laurel, MD 20707
- FEBRUARY 1: EUCHARISTIC HOLY HOUR — Resurrection in Burtonsville will offer a Eucharistic Holy Hour on Wednesday, Feb 1st at 7 pm. The intention is for those Family and Friends who are away from the Church. Please join together for Adoration of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament to lift up those closest to us who are away from the Sacraments. All are invited. Bring a friend.
- FEBRUARY 11: MASS OF REMEMBRANCE — St. Mary of the Mills will be offering a Mass of Remembrance on February 11, 2023 at 10:00 am, followed by a light reception for those who have experienced the death of an infant child and/or pregnancy loss and for those who are suffering with infertility. The Mass will include lighting of a candle for each of these families present. One does not need to be a parishioner of St. Mary of the Mills to attend. Those interested should register HERE so that they have enough candles.
- MARCH 5-7: LENTEN PARISH MISSION — Hosted by St. Joseph (Beltsville), Holy Redeemer (College Park), St. Hugh (Greenbelt) and St. Nicholas (Laurel) parishes. March 5-7, 2023, 6:30 PM-8:30 PM. Are you TRULY happy? Come discover the true happiness of being known intimately and loved unconditionally in the heart of Christ. Have you experienced unconditional love? Do you know you were made for greatness? Do you understand your life’s true purpose? At this special 3-day event, enter into a deeper experience of Christ through inspiring talks by renowned speaker, Dan Harms, powerful praise and worship, and Eucharistic adoration. Each evening will be followed by refreshments and a time for fellowship. See LINK for additional information.
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and our ability to offer child care if needed. This week, please pray for: 1) the repose of the soul of our sister-in-Christ, Kathy Buckus, 2) Katylee McInerney as she continues treatment for cancer, 3) eradication of Kate Christianson's cancer, 4) complete healing and swift recovery from Fr. Swink's recent back surgery, 5) continued improvement of Julie Reynold's new grandson's health and for thanksgiving that baby Jameson Christopher was able to come home for Christmas with a normal body weight, temperature, and heart rate, 6) Julie Reynold's daughter Megan, mother of this new baby -- both for thanksgiving for partial healing and prayers for complete healing, 7) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 8) Mike Frentz who is suffering from partial loss of eyesight, that it will not worsen, 9) Susan Conroy as she continues to have medical issues, and 10) peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joy, Michele, Karen, and Helen
Jesus, I trust in You!
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- SPECIAL ACCESS — Exciting News! Bill Keimig has provided the TASTE Program with our very own membership to the Catechetical Institute's "Franciscan At Home" completely free of charge to you! With this membership, we have workshops available to us on our computer given by excellent instructors such as Dr. Scott Hahn, Dr. Bob Rice, and our very dear friend, Dr. Bill Keimig! You can go as deep as you like in your study or just explore various topics involving catechizing all age groups, parenting, holy families, the Eucharist, discipleship, and many more. The link to set up your account under TASTE's membership is HERE. Questions? Feel free to email Karen Giermek at email@example.com.
- FR. SWINK— Fr. Larry said he has turned the corner in a good way and he continues to get his strength back. The surgery went well. He is very hopeful of a good recovery. Thank you all for your prayers for Father! I truly believe they are very vital! Also, we have heard that a number of women wanted Fr. Swink's address to send Get Well cards. Here it is. Fr. Larry Swink, St. Cecelia Catholic Church, 47950 Mattapany Road, P.O. Box 429, St. Mary's City, Maryland 20686
- SUPPORT OUR PRIESTS— A few weeks ago, we had our Spiritually Adopt a Priest/Seminarian ceremony. Thanks to all who are participating in this program since one of our three missions is to encourage priests in their ministry. If you missed the opportunity to sign up and would like to participate, please email Jennifer.A.Dougherty@protonmail.com. Additionally, here is an ARTICLE about 7 ways to support your priest.
- PILGRIMAGE — Fr. Larry Swink and Fr. Tim Daniel will be the Spiritual Directors for a pilgrimage to France May 21-30, 2023. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, see this LINK
- THE EUCHARIST - This year's TASTE theme "ABIDE IN ME" aligns with our Church's 3-year Eucharistic Revival (Additional LINK). As mentioned earlier, Blessed Carlo Acutis (Additional LINK) catalogued the Eucharistic Miracles of the World.
- CHILD CARE - If you are in need of child care to attend TASTE, please contact Joy Parker firstname.lastname@example.org directly. Likewise, if you know of any young mothers who you think would like to come to TASTE, but would need babysitting to do so, please contact Joy about this as well.
- REGISTRATION - We want to say thank you to all of the women who have already registered as it helps us significantly with our planning. If you haven't registered yet or if you know someone who is interested in attending, please sign up and/or encourage them to do the same. REGISTRATION LINK.
- INVITE A FRIEND - We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.