November 20, 2022
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- Happy Thanksgiving! Our prayers are with each and every one of you to have a very Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the week off and we look forward to reconnecting on Thursday, December 1st.
- Wednesday, November 23rd, we commemorate the 3rd successor of Saint Peter, who served as the Bishop of Rome in the last years of the first century. Pope Clement I and his two predecessors are named in Eucharistic Prayer I just after the list of the Twelve Apostles: “Linus, Cletus, Clement…” Clement is the very first Apostolic Father and may have been ordained by Saint Peter himself. In about the year 96 A.D., Clement wrote from Rome to the Church in Corinth to resolve some undefined disputes over authority tearing at that congregation. His letter is one of the most ancient Christian documents after the New Testament itself. May we also be encouraged by his message to the faithful to: 1) be obedient to their priests and bishops, 2) be inspired by the example of the martyrs, and 3) lead lives of high moral virtue. LINK
- Last week, we welcomed Fr. Michael DeAscanis as he gave his talk entitled "5 Things You Need To Do To Be Saved." Before getting into the talk, Father spent a few moments praising the TASTE program — the fact that we bring in speakers weekly (versus monthly), the fact that we have persevered for 16 years, the fact that we gather every week, wanting to go deeper into the Faith, and the fact that our program is unique among all our neighboring dioceses. The Church needs a strong core of Christians who understand the Faith, ponder it, discuss it, wrestle with it, and then articulate it for others and pass it on for the next generations. The Faith needs this core, and we are part of it through TASTE! Father then began his talk with a series of questions: Who says there are 5 things? Jesus does! What does it mean to be saved? To go to heaven? What is heaven? We need to ponder it more. If we don't desire heaven, we won't be motivated to go there. What does Jesus say about salvation? How do we participate? What does Jesus do? What do we do? MORE
THIS WEEK AT TASTE:
- We will not be meeting this week. TASTE will resume next week. However, the Zoom Small Group will meet this coming Tuesday, November 22 at 10:30 as usual.
- A unique opportunity just presented itself and we would love to share it with you. Our talk on "The Giftedness of Women" was regrettably canceled a few weeks ago. In addition to that, we were hoping to have Sr. Mary Madeline Todd, O.P. speak to us this year, but because of her teaching schedule at Mount de Sales Academy, she is not able to join us on a Thursday morning. Sr. Mary Madeline is in the same Dominican Sister order as our dear friend, Sr. Mary Michael Fox, O.P. In fact, Sr. Mary Michael refers to Sr. Mary Madeline affectionately as a "rock star" speaker! We are so excited to share this talk delivered by Sr. Mary Madeline at The Given Institute Forum just days ago, entitled "Entrusted With the Feminine Genius". Sr. Mary Madeline's talk beautifully addresses the topic of our giftedness as women, and we have the privilege of hearing her speak. We hope you will be deeply moved and inspired by it. Take a listen HERE and please share it with the other women in your lives. This is just for your edification. We will not be having small group discussion questions on this talk.
- REFLECTION WITH FR. YOUNG — All are invited to a Morning of Recollection on Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 8:00am to 10:30am at St. Mary of the Mills Catholic Church. Father Larry Young, will present “Planting Seeds”. FLYER
- ADVENT TEA — Mary Lenaburg, who recently spoke at TASTE, will be the guest speaker at Sacred Heart in Bowie for their Advent afternoon tea and a delicious catered luncheon on Saturday, December 3, from 1:00-3:00 pm in Carroll Hall. Details can be found on this LINK
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to pray for our TASTE program, our speakers, and our ability to offer child care if needed. This week, please pray for: 1) Fr. Swink's back surgery on 11/22, that he will have complete healing and swift recovery from his debilitating back pain, 2) for Mike Frentz who is suffering from partial loss of eyesight, that it will not worsen, 3) Katylee McInerney and her husband Joe's healing, 4) eradication of Kate Christianson's of cancer, 5) God's complete physical and spiritual healing for Helen Griffith's brother-in-law Rod, 6) improvement of physical health and spiritual well-being for Rita Todaro, 7) healing for Maryanna Rice after a recent fall, 8) for the repose of the soul of Robert "Bob" Berens, father to Mary Regan (former TASTE member) and grandfather to Fr. Kevin Regan, a TASTE speaker, and 9) for peace and comfort to the families of each of the people mentioned above. New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DONATIONS — There are 3 ways you can donate to TASTE to help defray our costs: 1) in-person, 2) electronically on our web site, or 3) by physical mail. Checks should be made out to "TASTE" and can be mailed to: Joy Parker, 12649 W Oak Drive, Mount Airy, MD 21771. As usual, thank you so much for your generosity!
- We look forward to seeing each and every one of you soon again!
Joy, Michele, Karen, Teresa, and Helen
Jesus, I trust in You!
CARRY-OVERS - The below information is carried over from the last email.
- SUPPORT OUR PRIESTS — A couple of weeks ago, we had our Spiritually Adopt a Priest/Seminarian ceremony. Thanks to all who are participating in this program since one of our three missions is to encourage priests in their ministry. If you missed the opportunity to sign up and would like to participate, please email Jennifer.A.Dougherty@protonmail.com. Additionally, here is an ARTICLE about 7 ways to support your priest.
- FR. SWINK — We have heard that a number of women wanted Fr. Swink's address to send Get Well cards. Here it is. Fr. Larry Swink, St. Cecelia Catholic Church, 47950 Mattapany Road, P.O. Box 429, St. Mary's City, Maryland 20686
- ROSARIES — Gabriella Oh has very graciously offered to repair, during TASTE, any broken rosaries you may have. She would also like to collect any unused or broken rosaries that she can repair and send to a mission. Gabriella is our TASTE member who generously made all the red and black rosary bracelets that were given out the first week or two of class. In addition, we will have for sale beautiful one and two decade rosary bracelets that she has made with all proceeds going to TASTE! Also, if anyone is interested, she is willing to teach rosary making.
BILL'S WEBSITE — Bill Keimig mentioned that content to their website is for free. If you are in the Arch of Baltimore, follow this LINK. There is a drop down menu of all the parishes and schools that are registered with them. You can use their membership to create an account. Unfortunately, the Arch of Washington only have the following 2 memberships through this LINK (Holy Cross Church and St. Elizabeth Catholic Church in Rockville).
- PILGRIMAGE — Fr. Larry Swink and Fr. Tim Daniel will be the Spiritual Directors for a pilgrimage to France May 21-30, 2023. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, see this LINK
- PARKING — We want to remind everyone various areas for parking: 1) St Mary of the Mills Church and School parking lot, 2) The Keesler Center parking lot, 3) The Phelps Center where the Laurel Boys and Girls Club meet, 4) Street parking., 5) No parking in Rectory Lot as it is for 10 to 15 minute visitor parking to the rectory only
- THE EUCHARIST - This year's TASTE theme "ABIDE IN ME" aligns with our Church's 3-year Eucharistic Revival (Additional LINK). As mentioned earlier, Blessed Carlo Acutis (Additional LINK) catalogued the Eucharistic Miracles of the World.
- CHILD CARE - If you are in need of child care to attend TASTE, please contact Joy Parker email@example.com directly. Likewise, if you know of any young mothers who you think would like to come to TASTE, but would need babysitting to do so, please contact Joy about this as well.
- REGISTRATION - We want to say thank you to all of the women who have already registered as it helps us significantly with our planning. If you haven't registered yet or if you know someone who is interested in attending, please sign up and/or encourage them to do the same. REGISTRATION LINK.
- INVITE A FRIEND - We encourage you to invite a friend regardless of where they are on their faith journey. If they are interested, please also encourage them to register. Attached is a POSTCARD that you can text, email, or print as an invitation to others.