May 1, 2022
Last week,Susan Brinkmann returned to TASTE with a talk entitled "Leading Like Judith: How We Can Bring Peace to Our Times." Susan began by telling us the story of Judith, how she confronted the elders of her time who were putting God to the test, and how she courageously acted on behalf of her people through intense prayer and action. She asked for God's help, and then waited for God to act, rather than imposing her own will on Him, as the elders had done. So, the question becomes how do we fight the spiritual battles of our time with the weapons we have, namely our feminine genius? She used the example of Mary as well as Judith. Both women were used by God, both show us what true Faith looks like, holding fast to His schedule, even if it entails suffering on our part, calling upon God for help with endurance to wait when needed, and relying on His Grace. Who are women in the eyes of God that He would use us in such powerful ways? We must live out our feminine genius and infuse it into this world. According to Susan, there are four basic aspects to our feminine genius: 1) receptivity, 2) sensitivity, 3) generosity and 4) maternity. And she went on to describe them each in detail and how they interact with one another. She then shared some quotes from St. John Paul II, from Mary Ann Glendon, and the Vatican II Council Fathers on the importance of women which can be found HERE. We are the Judiths of our time, and it is up to us "to save the peace of the world." We have the graces we need! How do we do it? Get a handle on our self-talk - change it to be positive and constructive. We need to renounce lies about ourselves, and claim our rightful inheritance as daughters of the Most High God. We concluded our time with an exercise in forgiveness and renouncement (see HERE for handout). And finally, Susan ended with a beautiful prayer for self-esteem and healing also found HERE (second page).
THIS WEEK AT TASTE
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will discuss Susan Brinkmann's talk entitled "Leading Like Judith: How We Can Bring Peace to Our Times." This talk as well as the reflection questions can be found HERE.
- NEW TALK — For our final talk of the season, we welcome back our Spiritual Director Fr. Larry Swink as he gives a Q & A wrap up talk to address questions about the Catholic Faith, from our TASTE year, from current events, or any questions or concerns about our beautiful Faith "Wrap Up Talk."
- REGISTRATION — As we are coming to the end of this year, we have created the registration for the 2022/2023 season. To help us plan for this upcoming semester, please register using this LINK. Please register now so you don't forget!
- END OF YEAR POTLUCK BRUNCH— We will be having an end of year potluck brunch on Thursday, May 12th immediately following the 9:00 am Mass downstairs in the Breen Room. If you have not already done so, please fill out this very short RSVP SURVEY. We hope you can join us!
- UPCOMING ICC CLASS — The Institute of Catholic Culture is offering a new on-line class entitled "Catholic Bioethics." Learn not only what the Church teaches, but why. Registration is now open for this class which runs from May 16 until October 17. Last day to register is May 3! The class is free. See HERE for details.
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Several of our TASTE sisters need our prayers. Please also pray for:
- All our TASTE sisters, especially Kate Christianson, Katylee McInerney, Geraldine Broglio, and Lauren (16) who is being sponsored for Confirmation by Peggy Gignilliat.
- Our spiritual director, Fr. Larry Swink as well as all of the priests in the Baltimore and Washington Archdioceses, especially those of whom you may have spiritually adopted.
- Our speakers and their families — especially: 1) Susan Conroy for her health, 2) Colleen Duggan and family, especially baby Caleb and 3) Sister Mary Michael Fox: a special intention concerning her family.
- Supreme Court Justices and All Judges — Please let us all pray today for wisdom, strength, and courage for our Supreme Court Justices and all judges and for Life to be victorious.
- New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FR. SWINK'S WEBSITE — His new website called Quis ut Deusincludes information on future retreats, talks, videos, pilgrimages, and recollections. We have permanently included this LINK on Fr. Swink's speaker page for future reference.
- USCCB & SUPREME COURT — For a reminder of prayer intentions for the USCCB and Supreme Court, please view this LINK and see UPDATE.
- LOGISTICS — For a reminder of any information associated with zoom small group, parking, masks, public health, babysitting, or registration, please view this LINK.
- DONATIONS — For a reminder of how to donate to TASTE or the Sisters of the Servants of the Lord, please view this LINK.