February 13, 2022
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- Many people join a group to accomplish personal goals that they could never accomplish alone since it creates an environment of accountability. The Seven Holy Founders of the Servite Order did just that when they joined a guild to both protect their commercial interests and their souls. By joining a local spiritual guild called the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin, they were guided by a wise and educated priest who offered them spiritual exercises and encouraged their devotion. They were especially devoted to the Seven Sorrows of Mary and they were instrumental in the Feast of "Our Lady of Sorrows" becoming part of the Church’s calendar on September 15. As we celebrate "their" feast day this Thursday, we ask God to help us to find mutual support and assistance in loving God and Mary through our holy alliance with like-minded Catholics and especially through TASTE.
- Fr. Virginus Osuagwu gave a talk talk entitled "Intimacy with God's Word." Father began by telling us that words have power. It is important how we hear words and what we hear. He proceeded to give us many, many words from Scripture about the importance of reading and hearing the Word of God. God's Word is always relevant for us in the now, in the current moment. And God is always speaking. He spoke of a deep connection between the liturgy of the Word and the liturgy of the Eucharist: "If the Word does not set your heart on fire, you will not recognize Jesus in the breaking of the bread." The Word of God has power to create and to save. If you fill yourself with God's words, you begin to think God's thoughts, you begin to think God's way, not your way, you begin to see the way God sees, begin to act the way God wants you to act. The Word of God changes us. And we always need God's Grace to understand His Word. Finally, Father gave us several ways to become more intimate with God, including study of the Word of God, prayer, use of appropriate resources, meditation, Lectio Divina, and reading "life-giving" books. The One who made the day tells us how to live in it: "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."
THIS WEEK AT TASTE
- NEW TALK — This week, we welcome Kristen Fisher as she gives a talk entitled "Hungering for God."
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will discuss Fr. Virginus Osuagwu's talk "Intimacy with God's Word." The talk, as well as the reflection questions can be found HERE. Also, given the message in his talk, this may be a good time to remind everyone of our wonderful library from which you can check out inspiring spiritual books to help set our hearts on fire!
- UNBOUND EVENT — Maryland Unbound has scheduled Saturday, February 26, 2022 as a time you can reserve an appointment to receive Individual Unbound Ministry Prayer. They will have trained teams ready to provide individual prayer using the Unbound Model. They ask that you read at least the first 7 chapters of the book Unbound, a Practical Guide to Deliverance, by Neal Lozano BEFORE scheduling your appointment. (The Unbound book is available at Amazon OR Heart of the Father. If you would like to schedule an appointment, or want more information, please contact Dan or Peggy Gahagan by Monday February 21, 2022 at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can call 410-747-4334, ext 555, leaving your name, phone number, and e-mail address.
- When Mike Tenney is with us on March 10th, we are in need of someone to watch his 2 1/2 yr old son. If you would be interested or know of someone reliable who would be interested in watching Mike's son for a couple hours that day, please contact Karen or Joy. Thank you!
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Several of our TASTE sisters need our prayers. Please also pray for:
- All our TASTE sisters, especially Linda Lupaczyk, Kate Christianson, Katylee McInerney, and Kay Robinson (Jennifer's D's mom)
- Our spiritual director, Fr. Larry Swink as well as all of the priests in the Baltimore and Washington Archdioceses, especially those of whom you may have spiritually adopted.
- Our speakers and their families — especially: 1) Susan Conroy for her health and 2) Colleen Duggan and her baby, who the doctors are saying has a 90% chance of having Downs syndrome.
- Supreme Court Justices — Please let us all pray today for wisdom, strength, and courage for our Supreme Court Justices and for Life to be victorious.
- New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at email@example.com.
- USCCB & SUPREME COURT — For a reminder of prayer intentions for the USCCB and Supreme Court, please view this LINK and see UPDATE.
- LOGISTICS — For a reminder of any information associated with zoom small group, parking, masks, public health, babysitting, or registration, please view this LINK.
- SNOW — As a reminder, we try to wait until close to our meeting to get the most current read of the weather before making a decision. In light of this, whenever the weather is questionable, we send out an email. LINK
- DONATIONS — For a reminder of how to donate to TASTE or the Sisters of the Servants of the Lord, please view this LINK.
Joy, Michele, Carolyn, and Karen
Jesus, I trust in You!