October 31, 2021
Dear Ladies and Friends of TASTE,
- This week, we celebrate All Saints Day (Monday, Nov 1st) and All Souls Day (Tuesday, Nov 2nd). During these celebrations, those of us still living (the Church militant) unite our hearts with and remember the faithful departed, whether they be in heaven (Church triumphant) or in purgatory (Church suffering). Let us each personally remember all Saints and all Souls in a special way this week!
- This past week, Joan Watson gave an inspiring talk entitled "Why I Love the Unlovable Church." She led us through the Church’s checkered past, reminding us that there were always scandals to fight, that we have had some bad clerics right from the beginning. However the Church is bigger than any individual, and God is bigger than any member of His Church. Jesus chose broken vessels to further His Church on earth, to make disciples of all nations. The story does not end there because in the Church, Jesus gives sinners the grace to become saints. We need the Church because that is where we find Christ, that is how He chose to give Himself to us. We need the Eucharist, we need His grace. And we are the face of the Church for others. Our own brokenness allows us to be present to others in their brokenness. She finished her talk with a quote from John Paul I responding to what we should do if the Church disappoints us: “Let us try to improve the Church by becoming better ourselves.” And then Joan left us with one final thought and a mission: “the greatest saints have come from the darkest times in the Church, so let’s all go be saints!”
THIS WEEK AT TASTE:
TASTE SMALL GROUPS:
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION— We will reflect on Joan Watson's talk entitled "Why I Love the Unlovable Church." The audio and video of this talk and Reflection Questions are included HERE. At that same link, you will find two pictures including some quotes from the talk under the video.
- SUPREME COURT — There are two abortion cases being put forth before the Supreme Court. In one case, they will be considering two legal challenges to TEXAS’ pro-life heartbeat law beginning November 1st. In the other case, they will be reviewing a MISSISSIPPI case regarding late term abortion beginning on December 1st. Please pray for wisdom for our Justices and good outcomes in both of these cases.
- RACE RELATIONS AND CULTURAL SENSITIVITY — Msgr. Pope will be giving a talk on this topic on 9 November @ 7:30 PM at St. Mary of the Mills Church. LINK.
- LOGISTICS — For a reminder of any information associated with zoom small group, parking, masks, public health, babysitting, or registration, please view this LINK.
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Several of our TASTE sisters need our prayers. Please pray for:
- All our TASTE sisters, Kate Christianson, Patty Aghdam, Kay Robinson (Jennifer's D's mom).
- Our spiritual director, Fr. Larry Swink as well as all of the priests in the Baltimore and Washington Archdioceses, especially those of whom you may have spiritually adopted.
- Our speakers — especially: 1) Susan Conroy for her health, 2) Sr. Mary Michael Fox as she is working to complete her new book, and 3) Colleen Duggan and her baby, who the doctors are saying has a 90% chance of having Downs syndrome. (Colleen and her husband John are at peace with the diagnosis, but need prayers for navigating their conversations with the doctors as well as all of the information that’s being thrown at them.)
- New prayer requests can be sent to Joy Parker at email@example.com.
- TASTE DONATIONS — There are 3 ways you can donate to TASTE to help defray our costs: 1) in-person, 2) electronically on our web site, or 3) by physical mail. Checks should be made out to "TASTE" and can be mailed to: Joy Parker, 12649 W Oak Drive, Mount Airy, MD 21771. As usual, thank you so much for your generosity!
- OTHER DONATIONS — In past years, we routinely collected donations for the Sisters of the Servants of the Lord. We would like to begin that again. While they would gladly accept any donation, their community is particularly happy to receive: Mozzarella cheese, Peanut Butter, Gluten Free Flour, Coffee, Sugar, Toilet Paper, Tissues, and any other non-perishable food.
Joy, Michele, Carolyn, and Karen
Jesus, I trust in You!