October 4, 2020
Dear Ladies of TASTE,
What an amazing and inspiring talk we had on Fatima for Our Times from Father Chris Alar. With a greater understanding of 1) the significance of Fatima, 2) the history and events surrounding it, and 3) the requests as it relates to our times, we have a renewed commitment to the Five First Saturday Devotions.
Speaking about what we can do during these uncertain times in our nation, we also harken back to what Fr. Larry Swink told us and the request that he made. As the TASTE Program's spiritual director, he suggested that all of the women, together, do a 30-Day Fast for our Country beginning on Sunday, Oct. 4th and ending on Election Day, Nov. 3rd. It's not too late to start now if you haven't started yet! We are suggesting that each woman select at least 1 item from each category from this LINK. We wanted to allow each woman to personalize her fast for two reasons: 1) only she knows what she “CAN” do, given her state in life and 2) only she knows what she “SHOULD” do, given what is truly a sacrifice.
THIS WEEK AT TASTE:
- NEW TALK — We welcome for the first time Fr. Maurice Akwa who is from Cameroon, specializes in Biblical Theology, and is now completing an online doctorate in Pastoral Clinical Psychotherapy. His talk, titled “Our Lady, Queen of Peace,” will be a live talk at the Keesler Center.
- LOCATION & TIME — St. Mary’s Parish Center (Keesler) at 800 St. Mary’s Place, Laurel, MD 20707. The Keesler Center is next door to Pallotti HS and has a parking lot in front. See LOCATION. Opening prayer will be at 10:15 and Fr. Maurice will begin speaking at 10:30. Announcements will be given after he speaks. Fr. Maurice will stay and hear confessions.
TASTE SMALL GROUPS:
- THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION — We will reflect on Fr. Chris Alar's talk. Audio and Video of his talk, Reflection Questions when available, and Resources for this talk are included HERE.
- GENERAL INFORMATION
- Please feel free to drop in to any of the virtual small groups (Zoom) that best meet your schedule. Zoom small groups will last for 30 minutes:
- MONDAYs from 10:00 - 10:30 facilitated by Maria Montgomery and Karen Schembari
- TUESDAYs from 3:00 - 3:30 facilitated by Jennifer Dougherty and Debbie Schmidt
- WEDNESDAYs from 11:00 - 11:30 facilitated by Mary Giesey and Lori Putman
- Access the meeting via this LINK with the password: TASTE2020 The Zoom meeting invitation is attached for further options and complete instructions.
- The movie, FATIMA, is currently in theaters and also on TV on-Demand. To find out more about the movie. click HERE. To find out where it is playing, click HERE.
- TASTE TALKS — As mentioned in our August 31st email, not all of the talks this first semester will be in person. Each week we will be sending you information about the upcoming lecture in an email (please remember to be in touch with TASTE sisters who you know do not have email). Additionally, you can keep track of the schedule and the mode of presentation via our website at Upcoming Weeks under Schedules – See LINK
- PRAYER REQUESTS — Please continue to keep our TASTE sisters in your prayers. Gini Linsenmeyer continues to battle cancer and has had quite a time these last months. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Additionally, please keep Helen Martin and Kate Christianson in your prayers.
- NAME TAGS — If you are a returning member and can bring your name tag from last year, it will be much appreciated.
- SUPPORT THE HUNGRY — The St. Mary’s food pantry is sharing the Keesler Center with us on Thursday mornings. This is a great opportunity to bring non-perishable foods and help them meet the needs of those in the Laurel community. They have an on-going need for diapers (any size) and baby wipes, and have asked if TASTE could support them in that need. They would be very grateful for your donations. See regular NEEDS
- DAILY MASS — If you plan to attend the 9:00 daily Mass at St. Mary of the Mills, please remember there will be about a 30-minute gap between the end of Mass and the beginning of TASTE. Guidelines for attending Mass at St. Mary of the Mills are attached.
- PUBLIC HEALTH — If you have a fever, are not feeling well or have been in contact with someone with known or suspected COVID, please stay home and listen to the lecture online.
- FACE MASKS — must be worn while inside the Keesler Center. Please bring your own.